The RS is functionally responsible for promoting the culture of research at Kuwait University through the process of grant support provided to faculty and graduate students. The faculties are encouraged to pursue research in humanities, basic and applied sciences, with a focus on areas of national, social and priority concern, through relevant programs, bylaws, regulations and procedures for grant support. The office develops infrastructure and equipment resources to facilitate advanced experimentation and in-depth analysis, streamlines manpower and purchase procedures, builds alliances and partnerships with external institutions for collaborative research and investment ventures, and seeks to provide a congenial environment for the pursuit of high quality research.
Research Sector is responsible for:
• Defining research policy, setting bylaws for research support rules & regulations, streamlining research implementation procedures, and specifying requirements for research evaluation, productivity and quality.
• Providing grant support to faculties for pursuing projects that are original, scientifically sound and relevant to Kuwait, Gulf and the Region.
• Encouraging, advancing and awarding Graduate Students Research.
• Facilitating research implementation through resource support in line with current regulations, and expediting research processing through online procedures.
• Inducing transparency in grant awards process, and providing access to researchers to self-monitor the progress of their projects through research portal facility.
• Initiating new programs, encouraging priorities, and promoting scientific visibility by involving faculties in organizing Poster Day events for displaying faculty researchers accomplishments in an interactive environment that nurtures innovation, sharing of interests and initiation of joint research.
• Developing alliances and partnerships with external institutions for collaborative research, investing research outputs, facilitating Patent Registration, encouraging technology transfer and raising funds.
• Enhancing global visibility through dissemination of research information, generating publications, promoting awareness through seminars, conferences, workshops, gatherings, media/publicity, and dedicated websites.
• Developing research infrastructure, facilities and labs, equipped with ultra-sensitive instruments and equipment for advanced experimentation and high quality research.
• Elevating research quality, optimizing faculty research performance, encouraging excellence attaining technological competence and e-capability.
• Encouraging humanities, basic and applied sciences research, with emphasis on resolution of problems, serving national needs, and improving the quality of life.
• Developing areas of research strength, and achieving scientific distinction through innovation and discovery.
The services provided by the Research Sector include:
• Providing research funding support to faculty research community to encourage creativity, and facilitate pursuit of research.
• Processing research projects through online analysis of proposals submitted to RS on Research Grant Application.
• Refereeing research for evaluation of a project's originality, relevancy and scientific merit.
• Facilitating research implementation through the provision of such services as manpower hiring, equipment purchase, travel and visiting experts, etc.
• Providing Patent Registration facility to researchers as regards international data/information search, concerning the patentability of research results.
• Offering world-class infrastructure labs & facilities to researchers for advanced experimentation, micro-analysis and in-depth studies.
• Providing Help Desk service to faculty researchers, visitors and multi-users, seeking information and answers to their research-related queries and project follow-up needs.
Academic Publication Council
The Major function of the APC is to publish Kuwait University's scientific journals, research studies and books in diverse fields of sciences and knowledge. A total of nine journals are published and linked to international databases. The journals are widely distributed, and their electronic version accessible on APC's website. The Council promotes scientific and intellectual relations between KU and other universities and research institutions, participates in intellectual and cultural events, including international fairs and exhibitions, providing an ideal platform for the dispersal of KU's scientific information, spreading awareness, and generating interest in Kuwait University's research accomplishments, through an organized display of Journals, books and magazines at fairs, including their marketing.
The Academic Publication Council is responsible for:
• Developing publication policy for the journals issued by Kuwait University, and overseeing its implementation in all research published by the Council.
• Defining editing, proofreading and publication standards, including exchange and complimentary editions, and organizing Authorship, Translation & Publication procedures.
• Ensuring research review and evaluation of scientific papers received, and ensuring journals distribution worldwide.
• Organizing seminars, workshops and forums and participating in book fairs, exhibitions and national/international events.
• Nominating editorial board members for Academic Publication Council and Authorship, Translation & Publication Committee.
The services offered by Academic Publication Council involve:
• Releasing KU's scientific journals and magazines for the benefit of researchers, institutions, experts and policy-makers.
• Developing/networking journals-exchange and their marketing.
• Providing e-journals for online exposure of KU's scientific research and accomplishments for wider access.
• Ensuring public awareness of APC’s publications through participation in cultural activities, exhibitions, book fairs, website and publicity.
Center for Gulf & Arabian Peninsula Studies (CGAPS)
The CGAPS highlights the rich history of the State of Kuwait, and its positive role and contributions in all fields in the Region. The Center undertakes studies for monitoring regional developments in response to global changes, and develops comprehensive database on Gulf Region, archiving historical records and information. CGAPS's current thrust on scientific and cultural activities involves the Center in the preparation and release of scientific publications, as well as organizing Cultural Seasons that include lecture-series, fairs and events. The Center's publications include the Abstracts Series, documenting latest Master's and Doctoral studies, as well as Special Publications Series, based on research/studies relevant to the Gulf and Arabian Peninsula Region.
The Center for Gulf & Arabian Peninsula Studies is responsible for:
• Developing bylaws and organizing functional elements to oversee publications, cultural activities, archives, internet and library resources.
• Overseeing the preparation and release of Current Events Registry, Special Series, Conference and Symposia Proceedings, Abstracts Series, etc.
• Organizing cultural activities, such as conferences, seminars and symposia, and participating in book fairs.
• Developing an archive based on local and regional events, through requisite documentation, research and analysis, news and media reports, and moving towards e-archiving.
• Highlighting rich history of the State of Kuwait and its positive role and contributions in all fields in the Region.
• Encouraging research studies and surveys on regional environmental concerns, and addressing Region’s endowments and resources.
• Recording current events through scientific analysis, and generating publications in diverse forms, with emphasis on Gulf studies.
• Developing library resource through resource acquisitions, such as books, references, periodicals, maps and documents concerning Gulf and Arabian Peninsula to meet research and scholarly needs. Also, maintaining statistical data, ministerial and govt. reports, National Assembly minutes since 1995.
The services provided by the Center for Gulf & Arabian Peninsula Studies include:
• Providing database services on vital historic records concerning the Arabian Peninsula Region.
• Disseminating information on regional developments.
• Spreading awareness on strategic regional concerns through discussion, debates, cultural events and center’s publications.
• Facilitating documentation of conference proceedings, and generating Special Publications/Abstracts Series.